Have you heard? Career Services at Kendall College can give students a huge boost during their internship or job hunt. Many students find employment by attending job fairs hosted by Kendall or other organizations in the area.
“Job fairs are a one-stop shop,” says Director of Career Services Kristen Hodges. “They are a great way for our students and alumni to network one-on-one with multiple employers under one roof.”
One Kendall student, Oliver W., emphatically shared “It is because of being a student at Kendall College that I was able to get the job this summer at Ravinia, because Levy Restaurants was at the job fair hosted by Career Services this Spring,” adding “I love Kendall College, this school is changing my life!”
But… But what do you say? What do you bring? How do you dress? Career Services has lots of great advice and recommendations for what students and alumni should do before, during, and after attending a job fair. Here are a few examples:
Before the fair:
- Update your resume to include recent accomplishments or skills.
- Bring multiple copies of your resume, a pad of paper and a pen to take notes.
- Research the employers in attendance including the positions they have open.
- Be prepared to answer interview questions on the spot at the fair. Visit Career Services for sample questions and example responses.
During the fair:
- Make a good first impression by dressing professionally.
- Turn off your cell phone and keep it out of sight.
- Collect business cards so you can follow up. Take notes on the back of the card to help you remember the person you met. Anything from “blonde hair” to “likes the Blackhawks” will work!
After the fair:
- Send thank you notes within 24 hours of the fair.
- Follow-up after one week with a note reiterating your interest in working for them.
Overwhelmed by the job search or just need a little extra help? Take advantage of Kendall’s Career Services by making an appointment now. Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org for help updating your resume, information about job openings and upcoming job fairs, how to prepare a “30 second elevator pitch” and more.