Where are they now? Catching up with Hospitality Alum Katie Graham

Meredith, January 29th, 2014 | Category: Alumni, Featured
tagged: , , , , , ,

Katherine (Katie) Graham graduated in Winter 2011 from the School of Hospitality Management with a concentration in Food and Beverage Management. She is currently a Production Coordinator at AgencyEA, an experiential marketing and event marketing agency in Chicago.

Kendall College Alumni Association: What is your favorite thing about working in the hospitality industry?

Katie Graham: What I enjoy most about working in this industry is that I bring to life these unforgettable experiences for our clients and our guests or attendees.  I enjoy the people that I work with and the challenges that every new day brings, because no day is the same in this industry.

This past year has been quite the whirlwind for me. I have worked many large-scale events this year from: all of the 17 opening events for Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago, decorating the White House for Christmas 2012, the groundbreaking for the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, and traveling all of the country executing sales conferences and advertising events for large Media and Financial Institutions. My role is to coordinate and support all aspects of the logistics behind these events.

Where do you hope to be in your career in 10-15 years?

With my education and what I have learned the opportunities are endless. I do not know exactly where I would like to be, I am just excited for where the future takes me.

What’s your advice for current students hoping to enter the hospitality industry?

Challenge yourself everyday to go above and beyond what is expected of you, and offer your time and help to anyone who needs it. In this industry we are always learning new things, and they best way to learn that is with a positive attitude willing to jump in and help out.

What made you choose to attend Kendall College?

I chose Kendall Choose because of the small class sizes and the level of expertise the teachers have. I wanted to attend a school where I would be able to interact and truly learn from experts in their field, and not only from teacher’s assistants.

How did your experience at Kendall prepare you for your current position?

Before attending Kendall I had numerous years of restaurant experience, while I was attending Kendall I really enjoyed my event marketing classes and it peaked my interests into this niche of our industry. The coursework as well as the real world experiences that I gained during my time at Kendall prepared me for the fast paced, thinking on your feet, and sometimes-grueling industry we all love.